Friday, September 19, 2014

Our Last Week in the Canaries

I want to share the excitement of our last week in Las Palmas.


First, I went to town on my day off, Tuesday, August 9.  A friend and I just walked around.  Here are some of the sites from town:









And, of course, some photos on the walk home:






Second, we received a delivery!  Yes, several of the containers from Texas arrived.  The IOC in Texas ships a couple of containers every month, mostly containing supplies - including medical supplies/equipment, food, items sold onboard (like toilet paper), etc.  Usually one of the containers will also hold personal packages.  When we were in Texas, we packed several boxes.  And by several, I mean about seven boxes over two months!  Some items are meant to make our cabin a home and some items are simply hard-to-get personal items that are very difficult or impossible to obtain in third world countries.

Anyway, one of those containers arrived in Las Palmas and was finally unloaded on Wednesday, August 10.  Some of the personal items included were clothes, my work shoes, and a dry erase board.  This board is attached to the front of the door with a marker so that people can leave messages when you are not in.  And we received our first message!  Anonymously!





On Thursday, there was a fire in the galley as I was working!  Okay, so not a real fire, but a mock grease fire that escalated.  The fire team duck walked to the rescue!  Yes, duck walked.  Which is the half squatting, shuffling forward walk that looks absolutely ridiculous yet is necessary for their safety!







And for our last night in Las Palmas, Friday, August 12, Joe and I went out on the town.  First to the boardwalk where I waded into the Atlantic Ocean.  The water was so beautiful and warm!  I wish I had thought to wear a bathing suit so that I could fully jump in.  Below you'll see my sand-encrusted feet:




Our last stop was a small pub within the port.  We stopped for some last-minute fast internet service and a Coke.  Aunt Jackie - there are Coke and Coke glasses everywhere in the world!  The glass is exactly like the ones we bought at the Coke Factory in Atlanta, Georgia!





No comments:

Post a Comment